New World from Below Collaborative Book Party — at the US Social Forum
Come celebrate recent radical publishing with AK Press, Autonomedia, the Institute for Anarchist Studies, Justseeds Artists’ Cooperative, Microcosm Publishing, Team Colors Collective, PM Press, author Jordan Flaherty and artist Seth Tobocman, and many others.
Friday, June 25, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
New World from Below Convergence Center
Located at the Spirit of Hope Church, 1519 Martin Luther King Dr., Detroit, MI 48208, at the corner of MLK and Trumbull.
A Collaborative Book Party
The New World from Below—the anarchists and antiauthoritarians at the Social Forum collective of collectives—is pleased to invite all U.S. Social Forum participants to a collaborative celebration of recent radical publishing with some of the most innovative presses around today. On Friday, June 25, following a full day of engaging workshops and before heading off to dance the night away at the Leftist Lounge, join us to mark the release of recent radical books that seek to enrich and enliven our radical minds!
Beer and wine will be served; books will be available for sale; and a short presentation from current radical authors will take place at 8:00 p.m., including the below authors and collectives.
Participating Authors and Collectives
- Benjamin Holtzman, editor of SICK: A Collaborative Zine on Physical Illness (Microcosm Publishing, 2010)
- Cindy Milstein, of the Institute for Anarchist Studies and author of Anarchism and Its Aspirations (AK Press, 2010)
- Jeff Conant, author of A Poetics of Resistance: The Revolutionary Public Relations of the Zapatista Insurgency (AK Press, 2010)
- Jordan Flaherty, author of Floodlines: Community and Resistance from Katrina to the Jena 6 (Haymarket, 2010)
- Josh MacPhee, editor of Paper Politics: Socially Engaged Printmaking Today (PM Press, 2009)
- Justseeds Artists’ Cooperative, authors of Firebrands: Portraits from the Americas (Microcosm Publishing, 2010)
- Seth Tobocman, author and artist of Understanding the Crash (Soft Skull, 2010)
- Team Colors Collective, editors of and contributors to Uses of a Whirlwind: Movement, Movements, and Contemporary Radical Currents in the United States (AK Press, 2010)
- Turbulence Collective, author of What Would It Mean to Win? (PM Press, 2010)